On September 10th, we hosted a panel with a few solo professionals to talk about taking the leap into working for yourself. We talked about what their challenges are, what it’s like for clients to work with a solo-shop, and how they work alongside traditional agencies. They had some recommendations to share with the audience, and we’ve compiled them here.
Resources & Recommendations –
- General consensus is to get an accountant and Tonisha suggests using free versions until you can’t anymore!
- Tracking time
- Podcasts– not necessarily about just focusing on industry trends, find things that you enjoy and that keep things interesting, makes you smarter
- Wandering DP on IG, follow DP or cinematographers to get inspiration
- Staying organized/tracking projects– Drew suggests just developing repeatable patterns to keep you on track an manage life and work
- Todoist– organizes your life, between work and family
- Google Keep
- Old school- just simply write down the top three things that need to be done each day.
- Studio Binder– scripts storyboarding, call sheets (monthly subscription)
Andy Eggert, Owner, DP/Director, Eggert Media | www.eggertmedia.com
Tonnisha English, CEO & Founder, TJE Communications |tjecommunications.com
Scott Mylin, Owner, Creative Director, Writer, Mylin Ltd. |